If you’re looking to give your lawn a fresh new look, installing sod is a great way to do it. But before you can lay down the sod, there are some important steps you need to take in order to prepare the area for installation. Here’s how:
1. Take a soil test and adjust the pH level as needed. This will ensure that your soil is healthy and ready for the sod.
2. Remove any existing grass or weeds from the area, either by hand or with a shovel or sod cutter.
3. Till the old soil with a rototiller to loosen it up and make sure it’s evenly distributed across the area.
4. Add organic matter such as compost or manure to enrich the soil and help retain moisture once the sod is installed.
5. Rake over the tilled soil until it’s level and even across the entire area where you plan on laying down your new sod.
6. If it’s hot and sunny place sod rolls in temporary shady areas while you’re installing them to keep them from drying out too quickly.
7. Begin installing your new sod along a straight line like a driveway or sidewalk, making sure that each piece butts up against each other tightly so there are no gaps between them when they’re laid down completely.
If you are looking to buy sod, or need sod installed, we recommend contacting CT Sod – we have referred many to them and they have great prices as well as a great reputation! Check out their reviews!